Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Back in the Doghouse?


Spending time with Dad and Kathy in Mt. Airy was great this weekend, going up to the mountains usually triggers a reflective period for me, where I remember times spent with the family. This was especially true after this recent visit due to the writing of this blog.

In the past I have written about Tammy’s “magic toaster” which was a means to tease Tammy about her cooking “prowess” and to hopefully entertain the reader. Here are the two blog posts associated with that subject, it would be best to read these in order, Tammy's Magic Toaster and Shitake Mushrooms Hit the Fan?

Going up to the NC/VA mountains and to places like Maybry Mill reminds me of my relatives who lived up “in them there hills”. Going to the mountains also reawakens my love for “Mountain Music”, as well as Country Music. We were able to see and hear some musicians while we were at Maybry Mill.

While I was reminiscing, I was reminded of a frying pan that I inherited from my grandmother Virginia when she passed away. This was NO ordinary frying pan …it is a real, heavy-duty, cast iron frying pan. She used to fry eggs, bacon, sausage, country ham….and real, made-from-scratch, mouth watering cornbread…. (Sigh) I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss her delicious carb rich meals. I would also be doing my grandmother a disservice if I did not mention her home made, made-from-scratch biscuits….the best I’ve EVER eaten. PERIOD!

The cast iron skillet does not get as much use as it once did but I still use it from time to time. This morning I cooked breakfast with it. For Tammy I fried bacon and eggs with Toast. For me I had fried bacon and eggs but also added some collard greens and a tomato.... a fine meal indeed (no toast, juice or jam).

Tammy really doesn’t use the cast iron heavy duty frying pan for cooking. I’ve asked her if she wanted to use it…

….but Tammy said “no, I’ve tried it a few times but the toaster cooks toast , waffles and such a lot quicker and easier than the frying pan.” (snort, snicker LOL!)


…occasionally she will pick it up and threaten me with it though….


Since I’m sure these comments will land me back into the “doghouse”….enjoy one of my favorite songs from Hank Williams Sr., “I’m a Long Gone Daddy”. My favorite line from the song, “I’ve been in the doghouse for so dog gone long, when I get a kiss I think something’s wrong”. :)




P90X Status


Completed Back and Biceps Today – this is my last week of heavy pushing and pulling…and this week is half over…. The end is now in sight.

In the beginning I was PSYCHED and excited about getting into the P90X workouts. Then after the first couple of weeks the “newness” wore off more and more. Then I started seeing results…the increase in strength and in stamina…that certainly helped raise the energy levels for the workouts.

There are days where I just don’t feel like doing the workouts but I grit my teeth (not literally ) and perform the workouts. I don’t just “perform the workouts”, I push play everyday and “bring it”. That means I bring the intensity or as Tony says…”I do my best and forget the rest”.

So far (knock on wood) I have not missed a workout and the only “blemish” was one day that, due to my lower back pain, I did not feel comfortable completing all of the exercises.


Later,

Steve

No comments:


Reprogram Your Genes to Burn Fat

ShareThis