Thursday, June 4, 2009

“Do cheaters ever win?”

People tell me, “Steve….Cooksey, how did you get to be so funny!” I’ll be honest with you, there’s a secret to it. Here’s what I do, before I write in my blog, I put a tuna fish sandwich in each shoe. That way, when I write…I feel “funny”. Ok….like some people (namely Bryan), I am stealing a joke, raise your hand if you recognized the old Steve Martin joke.

There’s another Steve Martin joke, it’s about S&M….(Steve, don’t go there please….ok I won’t…it’s not what you think though).

Getting back to business, yesterday started out great, below are my activities and meals. Keep in mind, I am not on a “weight loss” meal plan any longer.

Breakfast: Apple and Meal Replacement Shake

P90X Shoulders & Arms, and Abs Workout

Snack: Whey Protein Shake

Lunch: ½ can of Salmon, ½ can of spinach, 1/2 cup cauliflower, ½ cup broccoli

Snack: 1.5 oz of unsalted roasted peanuts

Dinner: 1/3 of a 16” 4 meat regular crust pizza!!! No, this isn’t what I had planned to eat…I had planned to eat the same thing I had for lunch (the other half) but I had to cook the pizza for my sons and then I had to get it out of the oven….and then I had to cut it….and then ...I had to eat it!!!

After patiently waiting an hour I tested my blood sugar…big relief…no problem. To be honest, the fact that I ate that much fat & calories isn’t that big of a deal with the workouts I’m doing BUT I don’t want to slide down that slippery slope…been there, done that.

So what the heck can I do??? I’ll punish myself….so even though I worked out for over an hour already, at 9:49pm I started jogging. I hadn’t jogged since Saturday and it was late so I was only planning on running a couple of miles, but I felt good. It certainly was cooler than running at noon and you don’t have all the traffic (and exhaust fumes). Anyway, I ended up running 5.6 miles….not 5.5 and not 5.7, it was 5.6 miles.

Mental Note: Don’t cook pizza for the boys anymore…

My diet today was “back on track”, only lean meats and healthy veggies.

I did backslide BUT and this is a BIG BUT…..I got right back on track the next day. One problem that people have (and I have fallen prey to this) is…when they backslide, they become depressed and give up.

DON’T give up!

If you can, exercise to burn some of the extra calories but the most important thing….get right back on your diet the next day or the next meal. Cheating once won’t destroy your diet. Do these things and cheaters can win...they don’t always “get it” in the end.

No comments:


Reprogram Your Genes to Burn Fat

ShareThis